12–15 November 2019 | Sydney, Australia
The inaugural Global Dialogue on Ocean Accounting brought together over 100 delegates, including representatives from 17 governments, technical experts, decision-makers and other stakeholders from around the world to share experiences, lessons learned and plan collaborative efforts on ocean accounting. Dialogue discussions aimed to foster the recognition and inclusion ocean values and benefits in all relevant policies and decision-making about social and economic development.
The inaugural Global Dialogue and associated side events were designed to bring together stakeholders involved or interested in the following initiatives:
- ESCAP’s 2018 Regional Expert Workshop on Ocean Accounts for which this event functioned as a direct follow-up.
- Deliberations of the High-Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy, concerning national accounting for oceans.
- The World Bank Blue Economy program and PROBLUE trust fund supporting integrated and sustainable economic development in healthy oceans.
- The University of New South Wales (UNSW)
- United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UN ESCAP)
- The High-Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy (Ocean Panel)