These reports are 'preliminary consultation drafts', so should you have any feedback or questions, please send them to Dr. Irfan Yulianto.
1 September 2021 – 31 March 2022
Pilot study area
Gili Matra Marine Protected Area
This Ocean Accounts of Indonesia pilot has three main objectives:
- Conduct a national pilot on ocean accounts in Indonesia
- Develop a roadmap for ocean accounts implementation
- Improve knowledge and capacity on ocean accounts among key stakeholders
Types of accounts
- Ecosystem extent and condition
- Flows to the economy
- Flows to the environment
By referring to the Ocean Diagnostic Tool, three main methods were outlined to gather information and perspective from stakeholders:
- (1) Indonesia’s policy framework and strategic planning
- (2) Operationalisation and methods
- (3) Priority, challenges, and opportunities for ocean accounts development
Challenges and lessons learned
Key Lesson Learned: A government-led initiative is important for collaborative action.
- Challenge: Encountered various cross-sectoral interests. Solution: Collaborative action and a dedicated team.
- Challenge: Data availability, especially for opening accounts. Solution: Deep dive into database from each institution and pool the datasets together.
- Challenge: Understanding of methodology. Solution: Capacity building and intensive consultation with experts.